North Korea Events Next Week
Early next week, Marcus Noland will be speaking at two North Korea-related events hosted by our neighbors at the Brookings Institution.
First up on Monday, April 14th:
The Center for East Asia Policy Studies at Brookings and the Committee for Human Rights in North Korea (HRNK) will host an address by Michael Kirby, chair of the U.N. Commission of Inquiry on Human Rights in North Korea (COI), to present its findings and recommendations. Following the keynote address, Marcus Noland of the Peterson Institute for International Economics and an HRNK board member, will comment on the COI report and discuss policy implications for the United Nations and its member states, and possible impact on North Korea and its people.
“Human Rights in North Korea: An Address by Michael Kirby” will take place 3:00PM – 4:30PM. A link to register and all information necessary to attend can be found here.
Then, on Tuesday, April 15th:
The Center for East Asia Policy Studies at Brookings will host the release of a report from the Committee for Human Rights in North Korea (HRNK), entitled "Illicit: North Korea's Evolving Operations to Earn Hard Currency." The report, authored by Brookings Nonresident Senior Fellow Sheena Chestnut Greitens, analyzes the history and current status of North Korea's foreign currency earning operations, focusing on illicit activities. It discusses how these activities have changed in recent years and the implications for U.S. and international policies toward North Korea. Nicholas Eberstadt of the American Enterprise Institute and Marcus Noland of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, both HRNK board members, will comment on the presentation.
“Illicit Economic Activities of the North Korean Government” will run from 2:00 – 3:30 PM, with everything you need to register and attend here.
Don’t have much of a background in either subject? Check out the links below for our related posts, and come up with some wicked sharp questions for the presenters.
On the Commission of Inquiry (COI):
- Commission of Inquiry Report: the Mandate (March 25, 2013)
- Roberta Cohen, Karin Lee and Christine Hong on Human Rights (January 29, 2014)
- Commission of Inquiry Report: Initial Reaction (February 17, 2014; includes full links to Commission materials)
- Commission of Inquiry Report: What Next? (February 24, 2014).
- Commission of Inquiry Roundup I: The UN Role (March 3, 2014)
- Commission of Inquiry Roundup II: the UN Role (March 6, 2014)
- The Human Rights Council Vote (March 31, 2014)
- All Witness to Transformation "human rights" posts
On illicit foreign earnings activities: