Thanks to information released on GitHub it appears that we now have a list of all North Korean websites with “.kp” addresses. There are 28 of them.
According to GitHub, on September 19, 2016 at approximately 10:00 (PDT) one of North Korea’s top level nameservers was accidentally configured to allow global domain name system zone transfers; so a full list of the country’s “.kp” websites became temporarily accessible. The GitHub release got picked up on Reddit and eventually spread as things on Reddit do. We reproduce a link that Redditor /u/black_kitsune provided collating information from North Korea Tech about the various websites.
The story was picked up by Tech Times, Engadget, and by mainstream media such as BBC and NPR. It is not that these websites were inaccessible to the outside world before but that a slip up allowed for the full list to be made public. We should note also that this list does not include information on North Korea’s kwangmyung intranet network, the DPRK’s strictly-controlled internal internet-like system that North Korea Tech observed last year, “looks like the internet in the 1990s” and is “very similar to a corporate network but on a national scale.”
Here's a reproduced list of all the “.kp” websites:
- http://airkoryo.com.kp - Air Koryo. A flight ticket website.
- http://cooks.org.kp - Korean Dishes. Culinary website with recipes.
- http://friend.com.kp - Friend. Appears to be something similar to Yahoo and MSN.
- http://gnu.rep.kp - National Unity. A well-being group.
- http://kass.org.kp - Korean Association of Social Scientists. Not sure, but I think it's an education website for both school and adult education courses maybe.
- http://kcna.kp - Korean Central News Agency. Yet another news website.
- http://kiyctc.com.kp - Korean International Youth and Children's Travel Company. I guess a travel company of both youth and children.
- http://knic.com.kp - Korean People Total Insurance Company. Insurance company.
- http://koredufund.org.kp - Korea Education Fund. Appears to be a charity to increase the quality of education.
- http://korelcfund.org.kp - Korea Elderly Care Fund. A charity for the elderly.
- http://korfilm.com.kp KorFilms - Pyongang International Film Festival. The film website.
- http://ma.gov.kp - Maritime Administration of Korea. Laws of the water can be found here.
- http://naenara.com.kp - Naenara. - This is actually the "official" government site in the sense of a description of the country. It has plenty of news articles but it contains a decent amount of (tourist oriented?) information about the country (thanks /u/tinoh124 for the correction).
- http://nta.gov.kp - Korea Tourism. The Korean Tourism board, looks like you can get tours from here.
- http://rodong.rep.kp - Rodong. Official news website. Click here to view the Rodong website in the user-friendly Western version, thanks again to /u/tinoh124 for this.
- http://ryongnamsan.edu.kp - Kim Il Sung University. - The university's website.
- http://sdprk.org.kp - Sports Chosun. - The sports website.
- http://vok.rep.kp - Voice Of Korea. A news website.
- http://portal.net.kp, http://masikryong.com.kp, http://rcc.net.kp, http://rep.kp, http://silibank.net.kp, http://star-co.net.kp, http://star-di.net.kp, http://star.co.kp, http://star.edu.kp, http://star.net.kp. Not currently accessible.