Position: Director of Event Strategy and Outreach
Supervisors: VP for Communications/VP, Executive Office and Board Liaison
Updated: March 1, 2023
Status: Full-time Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
WHO WE ARE
The Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE) is an independent nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization in Washington, DC dedicated to strengthening prosperity and human welfare in the global economy through expert analysis and practical policy solutions. It was named best economics think tank in the United States, with research in areas such as trade and macroeconomic policy cited regularly in major news outlets. Join a nimble and respected team that takes pride in producing substantive, world class events for international policymakers, journalists, global business leaders, and the general public. Past guests have included leaders at the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank, World Trade Organization (WTO), the administration including the cabinet and White House National Economic Council, Federal Reserve and other central banks, as well as many prominent scholars and experts.
The Peterson Institute seeks a proactive, accomplished, and adept leader with diplomatic skills to oversee the strategy, planning, and execution of PIIE’s high-profile public events and private convenings. The ideal candidate will have experience planning and managing production of in-person, hybrid, and virtual events, as well as demonstrated managerial and project management abilities.
The Director of Event Strategy and Outreach should be a self-starter who can plan and manage event programming and logistics; define goals, success metrics, and strategies to elevate event performance; effectively and graciously liaise between multiple teams and individuals (staff in the president’s office, communications, research, and IT, as well as external organizations and guests); and help ensure events are smoothly run and are successful in growing PIIE’s audiences, influence, and reputation. This individual will supervise an events team comprising an Events Specialist and an Events and Marketing Assistant.
The ideal candidate should be detail-oriented; have outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills; and be able to handle multiple tasks and exercise sound judgment in a fast-paced environment. To plan and direct events strategically and efficiently, this individual will need to be a critical thinker and possess at least a broad understanding of PIIE’s subject matter and audiences, as well as stay up-to-date with best practices at organizations that hold public meetings or conferences.
This position is primarily based in PIIE’s Washington, DC office in Dupont Circle, with the option to work from home sometimes depending on event scheduling and Institute needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the strategy, planning, and production of PIIE events and meetings, coordinating tasks among all relevant staff across the organization.
- Supervise the Events Specialist and Events and Marketing Assistant, working collaboratively to determine the best workflows.
- Facilitate planning meetings with event organizers and relevant staff. Participate in discussions to determine event details (such as event formats, timing, target audiences); provide expertise on virtual and hybrid event production, guest management, and related areas to inform planning decisions; and identify goals related to outreach, development (fundraising), or relationship-building, while keeping track of decisions and action items needed.
- Communicate with internal staff to ensure relevant information is shared in a timely manner and collect any other information to assist event planning.
- Develop a strong understanding of PIIE’s target audiences and key influencers in the international economic policymaking space and stay up to date with event management best practices, trends, and strategies for event outreach, presentation, and production.
- Serve as point of contact and manage logistics in securing event speaker(s) and coordinate their virtual or in-person appearance.
- Make decisions on when event information can be publicized and how, providing instructions to staff.
- Prepare and review event materials, such as invitations, talking points, or questions to be asked at the events.
- Develop and monitor workflows among all staff involved in events to improve efficiency and maintain quality control.
- Work with technical staff to optimize the event experience for online and in-person audiences.
- Collaborate with marketing and communications teams to evaluate whether events have met strategic goals and suggest how events can support the overall outreach strategy to promote PIIE research and scholars.
- Work with staff to develop email marketing and database management strategies, including new invitation lists, how to maintain lists, and protocols to track and segment contacts.
- Oversee the budget for the events department and review invoices.
- 5-10 years of professional event planning and management experience is required. Experience in a related field is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent learning experience is required.
- Demonstrated experience managing a team to plan and execute in-person, virtual, and hybrid events.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially with multiple team members across an organization.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and demands in a fast-paced environment, be flexible in handling urgent situations, and exercise sound judgment under pressure.
- Ability to interface with utmost professionalism with external guests and their representatives, including top government officials and high-profile individuals.
- Ability to think critically and strategically.
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Knowledge of the technical requirements for running virtual and hybrid events and how to communicate with technical staff to troubleshoot issues.
- Strong writing and oral communications skills, and the ability to present ideas and plans effectively.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; virtual meeting applications, such as Zoom, Teams, WebEx, etc. is required.
- Salesforce, Pardot, and Leadership Connect (or similar database and email marketing software) knowledge is strongly preferred.
- Ability to accommodate and manage occasional events that may occur after business hours and on weekends.
- Interest in international relations, economics, or business.
Please submit your cover letter (include salary expectations) and resume to [email protected]
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/ EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER