Job Title: Digital Content Producer (Temporary to Permanent)
Department: Publications and Communications
Reports to: Assistant Vice President for Communications under supervision of Vice President for Publications and Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt Full-Time Employee
The Peterson Institute for International Economics is an independent nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization dedicated to strengthening prosperity and human welfare in the global economy through expert analysis and practical policy solutions. Areas of research include trade, macroeconomic policy, inequality, and global institutions like the WTO and IMF. The Institute’s award-winning work is cited regularly in major news outlets. Join a nimble and growing communications team that takes pride in producing news-driven, fact-based, and creative content for international policymakers, journalists, global business leaders, educators and students, and the general public.
The Institute seeks a highly motivated and versatile multimedia and storytelling expert with data visualization experience to help translate complex economic research into engaging, accurate, and accessible content in a variety of formats for our website, social media, and other venues. This content would include data visualizations, educational explainers, multimedia features, graphics, and videos. The Digital Content Producer will help identify research and data conducive to alternative presentations, determine effective formats for target audiences, work with the Institute’s renowned policy experts to verify information, write copy and scripts, and collaborate with communications staff, including the in-house visual designer/animator, to refine messaging and create materials for dissemination.
Applicants should have a background in journalism, communications, or related field, ideally with experience working with economic and/or other datacentric content. This person should have news judgment, be comfortable and excited to work with data, and understand how to present information clearly and creatively to wide audiences. Equally, if not more important, are interpersonal skills and confidence enabling the person in this position to work with economists and research staff who do not share a background in communications. This person should possess technical and leadership skills sufficient to manage projects and determine what is feasible and advisable given time restraints and audience demands. Applicants should also expect to present a portfolio of work examples.
Candidate would be a temporary employee with full benefits until the end of August 2020, with the possibility of converting to permanent status depending on performance, skillset, and PIIE needs as the Institute expands its outreach efforts. Salary expectations will be commensurate with qualifications and skills. PIIE offers an exceptional benefits package, including health insurance, and opportunities for tuition reimbursement for additional training and education in relevant fields and skills. The person will work under the direction of the Assistant Vice President of Communications and under the overall supervision of the Vice President for Publications and Communications.
- Stay up-to-date on Institute research in progress, published pieces, and related material, and pitch creative content ideas to communicate findings.
- Determine best content formats, with consideration given to audience insights and time available for production and dissemination.
- Write and edit copy for data visualizations, stories, and visual content, including the PIIE Charts series. Ensure that editorial copy in products reflects final edits by staff.
- Work with researchers and designer to create data visualizations that are accurate and engaging, utilizing best practices.
- Write and edit scripts, working closely with the PIIE visual designer to produce videos for various platforms.
- Help direct video and podcast production, including overseeing interview shoots, providing direction on editing, and suggesting clips for social media.
- Manage day-to-day production schedules and tracking of deliverables.
- Monitor news cycles and public discussions to inform content decisions.
- Write teaser, blurb and summary language to accompany site content, prepared in conjunction with research and communications staff.
- Consult with researchers when needed on story ideas to determine feasibility and creative direction.
- Offer ideas to enhance and grow PIIE’s website outreach and presence on social media, news outlets, Google, and other venues.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field.
- Applicants should have enough work experience to present an impressive portfolio demonstrating skills in data visualization, data and journalism storytelling, editing and writing, etc.
- Digital production experience across media types, including data visualizations, for dissemination on websites and social media.
- Strong writing and editing skills with the ability to distill complex messages into clear, accurate, and concise language adapted to different visual formats.
- Ability and willingness to provide creative ideas that enhance the Institute’s brand and marketing goals.
- Understanding of audience insights to help inform project direction.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, including with scholarly experts.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word, and Adobe Creative Suite products, especially Illustrator and Premiere.
- Ease with multitasking in a busy, news driven environment—plus an ability to effectively manage time, adapt to changing priorities, and work within deadlines.
- Knowledge of economics issues or other datacentric/research-based fields is strongly preferred. Experience producing content for educational use is a plus.
This person will regularly have to quickly move from floor to floor, locating senior fellows, and working with other members of the publications and communications team. This person will also typically sit at a desk for extended periods throughout the day and use a computer with advanced software to produce these materials. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is moderately open with a combination of cubicles and offices. The noise level will vary from quiet to loud. The office, lavatories, and building are all handicapped accessible. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Monday through Friday – 40 hours per week during typical business hours, with occasional schedule changes due to events or pressing deadlines.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Salary level subject to discussion based on experience, background, current salary, and skills of applicant. Send resume, cover letter, at least three samples of multimedia storytelling work, including data visualizations, and references to the Director of Human Resources at [email protected], with “Digital Content Producer” in the subject line.
No telephone calls please.