Job Title: Events and Marketing Assistant
Reports to: Director of Meetings (60%)
Assistant Vice President for Digital Communications (40%)
FLSA Status: Exempt/Full-Time
WHO WE ARE
The Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE) is an independent nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization in Washington, DC, dedicated to strengthening prosperity and human welfare in the global economy through expert analysis and practical policy solutions. It has been widely recognized as the best economics think tank in the United States. Its research focuses on trade, global finance, regional studies, macroeconomic policy, and other subjects, and its scholars are cited regularly in major news outlets.
The Institute seeks an entry to mid-level full-time Events and Marketing Assistant to assist the meetings staff with digital and hybrid event production and to support the communications department with email and other digital marketing, database maintenance, and analytics, all with the goal of helping to grow an engaged audience for PIIE events and research. Join a nimble and respected team that takes pride in convening the world's most influential economic policymakers and experts. Past guests at events have included leaders at the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Trade Organization (WTO), White House National Economic Council, the Treasury Department, the Federal Reserve Board, as well as many prominent scholars, officials, and policymakers from around the world. This position is primarily based in PIIE's office in Dupont Circle, in Washington, DC, with the option to work from home as pre-approved by supervisor(s) depending on event scheduling and Institute needs.
This role will work within two departments, meetings and communications.
Meetings: For the meetings department, responsibilities include assisting with logistical and technical support for virtual/hybrid events and internal meetings. The Events and Marketing Assistant will work in conjunction with the Events Specialist to plan timelines and tasks. For virtual and hybrid events (which PIIE plans to initiate in 2022 depending on pandemic status), the Assistant will set up and operate events live on PIIE's digital event platforms, track registration and attendance data, ensure guests are prepared for broadcast, and assist with other related tasks.
Communications: The Events and Marketing Assistant will work with relevant staff from the communications team to develop email and other proactive outreach strategies for events and related research, helping to determine target audiences, creating email campaigns, and identifying promotional opportunities. This position will help segment email databases, maintain contact lists, and contribute to list building efforts. The Assistant will regularly analyze performance and offer reporting and recommendations on creating and optimizing marketing approaches.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
Event support (60%)
- Create and operate virtual/hybrid events on Zoom, YouTube, Wirecast, and other livestreaming platforms for external and occasionally internal audiences in conjunction with the assistance of technical support staff.
- Track and record registration, attendance, email, and engagement data in Salesforce and other systems, and provide reports to relevant staff.
- Conduct administrative tasks as needed, such as supporting the Events Specialist in responding to event inquiries accurately and promptly, preparing presenter bios, and assisting the database manager with projects.
- Provide support for event guests before and during events, such as conducting webcast tests, updating lower-third graphics (name/title), recording events, and running PowerPoint files.
- Assist Meetings staff with in-person event tasks, such as onsite registration, set up, and printing materials.
- Collaborate with communications staff and Events Specialist to identify target audiences and help create tailored promotional plans for email marketing, website postings, newsletter, news media outreach, social media, and advertising.
- Take the initiative to identify opportunities for targeted individual outreach to potential new audiences and to stakeholders.
- Contribute to event outreach by optimizing event titles, descriptions, and subject lines, advising on virtual/hybrid meeting formats, and identifying opportunities for social media and other promotion.
- Develop and pitch ideas on new ways to leverage email marketing to boost event attendance and outreach for PIIE research, including new content ideas or email products.
- Format email content using HTML templates and Pardot email platform.
- Regularly analyze the performance of emails, Zoom registrations, YouTube viewership, and growth of the email contact database, and provide reporting and recommendations.
- Contribute to ongoing efforts to grow engaged email subscribers and segment data, in collaboration with communications staff and the Salesforce CRM administrator.
- Stay up to date on industry trends and practices for virtual/hybrid events, email marketing, and other promotional activities.
- Associate's or bachelor's degree required, preferably in marketing, communications, business administration, or related field.
- At least two years of demonstrated experience in marketing, communications, and/or event planning and promotion, especially in virtual environments.
- Skills in writing/editing, Zoom, Microsoft products (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel), and email database administration required, preferably with Salesforce.
- Must have demonstrated experience in email marketing. Experience with Pardot is a plus.
- Effective communication skills (verbal, written, and listening) and excellent interpersonal skills at all levels of business.
- Must have the ability to effectively manage time, prioritize tasks, and work within deadlines.
- Must be well organized and detail oriented.
PIIE offers a highly competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage; eligibility to participate in a generous retirement savings plan (after one year of employment, PIIE contributes 10 percent of the employee's salary each month to a retirement account and the employee becomes fully vested after three years); competitive paid time off for vacation and sick leave; and significant subsidies for tuition in education and training programs.
COVID-19 VACCINE POLICY / CROWDPASS
PIIE priorities the safety of its staff and surrounding community. As part of that commitment, PIIE requires that all staff and guests in its office are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19. PIIE partnered with CrowdPass, a HIPAA-compliant web application service that verifies vaccination status for all staff and visitors. To use the office, all staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated, have received a booster shot, and verify vaccination records by registering with CrowdPass. Registration details for CrowdPass will be provided to new hires upon completion of the interview process. Individuals who have a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination or who object to being vaccinated based on a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting PIIE's Director of Human Resources.
Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week. Must be able to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the business.
This person will typically sit at a desk for long periods of time throughout the day and use a computer to include monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Some walking to and from various offices, and the mailroom will be required. Standing as needed to support guest registration process. Some bending and stooping may be necessary in order to do filing. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is a moderately open one with a combination of cubicles and offices. The noise level will vary from quiet to loud. The office, lavatories and building are all handicapped accessible.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to [email protected] with the subject line, "Events and Marketing Assistant." NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled