Thanks to Jaesung Ryu as well as North Korea Economy Watch for bringing this interview to our attention. Back in October of last year, we reported on the rumors surrounding Kim Jong Il’s grandson enrolling in the United War College in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Back then, reports included photos taken from Facebook showing a very western looking Korean teenager purported to be Kim Han-Sol. It appears those reports were true as former Finnish MP as well as former Minister of Defense in Finland, Elisabeth Rehn, managed to get a sit down interview with Kim IV. Judging by his seemingly pro-western view of the world, it seems quite unlikely we’ll be calling him dear leader anytime soon. At least not while this regime is still in power.
Check out the interview below. Skip to the 1 minute 35 second mark to get to the English language portion. If there are any Finnish readers out there, we’d love translations of the subtitles.
Thank you to Derek Bolton and his extremely helpful Finnish girlfriend for providing us with translations to the subtitles.
It turns out the subtitles were in Swedish, but she was able to translate anyway. Her translation is provided below.
At the start, the narrator says that she is on her way to Mostar to visit the united war college. At the college there are young people between the ages 16-18 who come from different conflict backgrounds. She has never before met the person she is about to meet. This young man is from a dictator country and closed society. She is nervous because of the meeting because she doesn’t wan to put him in to an uncomfortable situation, since his family may punish him.
1) The year 1995 when Kim Han Sol was born was a grey/dreary year in North Korea’s history.
2) Millions of people died in hunger.
3) Han Sol grew up wealthy in his grandfather’s palace.
4) However, he never met his grandfather Kim Jong Il, North Korea’s “loved leader”.
5) The dictator had 3 sons. The eldest is Han Sol’s father, Kim Jong Nam, who was for a long time the planned heir.
6) In 2001 the father was removed as the heiress after the family was arrested in Japan on their way to Disneyland for having fake passports.
7) 2 years later the media reveals that Jong Nam lives a luxurious life at the Chinese tax paradise Macao.
8) Neither the family tree nor incomes matter/have an impact to those who get accepted in UWC.
9) Yet, the acceptance of Kim Han Sol got a lot of attention.
10) The Korean War 1950-1953
11) The general Kim Il Sung, North Korea’s first dictator was Han Sol’s grandfather’s father.
12) In 2011 Han Sol private Facebook account was hacked by South Korean media and the content was published.
13) Han Sol had written that he is ashamed for the sufferings that his relatives caused for the people of North Korea.
14) After this incident Han Sol’s statements are closely monitored by the homeland.
15) Also before this interview he was contacted by North Korea’s Security Service.
16) Han Sol’s uncle (father’s brother) Kim Jong Un continues to drive his father’s terror.